My decision to become a Nurse-Midwife

My decision to become a certified nurse-midwife(CNM) is an interesting story. It has a lot to due with my anthropology major. During our junior year, we do an ethnographic research project. With the advice of a professor, I decided I would shadow a Certified Professional Midwife(CPM) who did homebirths.I was not too keen on the idea, but I figured why not especially since I didn’t really know much about it.  I interned with this midwife for about 6 months and it was the best experience in the world. I learned so much. I was able to attend prenatal & postpartum appointments,educational seminars and I got to see an actually homebirth! The midwife I worked with introduced me to a variety of people including CNM’s.  The (CPM) not only taught me about what she did, but taught me about the profession and different routes within the profession such as CNM vs Home birth midwife vs CPM. I became in love with the philosophy of midwifery and realized that the holistic approach of midwives was similar to how I believed birth should be.

With the help of Susan Rodgers, an anthropology professor at HC, my senior year anthropology classes were focused on midwifery and the impact it has within other countries. I was also able to do an independent  research project my last semester and interviewed various HC faculty, administrators and staff about their birth experiences. That is the nice thing about HC. I really appreciated that they allowed you to focus your classes on your interests.  I think if I hadn’t been able to do so, I would not have been as adamant about entering an accelerated advanced practice nursing program as soon as I graduated.

I do not regret my decision of not going to medical school at all. I really love the career that Im going to be in and it is much more aligned with my philosophy of healthcare. Don’t get me wrong, midwifery isn’t for everyone but for me personally, I love the fact that I am able to empower women in their birth choices and help facilitate a birth experience that they desire. Pregnancy is a joyous moment for women and their families.  It is probably one of the most memorable experience that will occur during their lifetime. The fact that a midwife helps to to enhance their experience and provide them with intimate and personalized care is why I love midwifery and want to be a midwife.